WILLIAM WALL (1812-1889)

I would like to show you the picture of your ancestry. Do you know exactly where you fit into the picture? If you will use your imagination and some observation, perhaps you may learn about someone who is very deer to you. Come with me back through the years to Horsley, Gloucester, England to the day of September 12, 1812. That was the day that our William Wall was born. [His parents were James Wall (1779-1841) and Sarah Elliotts Neale (1784-1852).] We assume that he lived the normal life of any boy in England, but we know that later as a man, he developed into a person of good character, thrifty, and worked hard to excel in his trade as a stone mason.

Then on September 26, 1836 he married Sarah Sansome and built a small stone house and here their first child, Joseph Laban was born. Later he built a much larger house nearby where he moved his family, sharing it with another family group. William Wall was a religious man of strong conviction and at one time when he was working in a stone quarry, a voice said to him, "Wall get out of there": Thinking someone was playing a joke on him he at first paid no heed but after repeatedly hearing the voice, he moved out. Immediately there was a disastrous explosion. The Lord had spared his life.

Our Sarah Sansome was also born at Horsley, Gloucester, England on Sept. 30, 1815. Did you know that she was a tiny English woman who was always very neat and tidy in her appearance? She was an excellent cook and a fine homemaker. It has been told that she used "Humbug Oil" for almost every ailment. Her theory was that as she put it, the "Patience and Perseverance will overcome all obstacles". Many of you have perhaps seen lovely cross-stitch sampler that Sarah sewed when she was but 11 years old. This has been preserved by some of the family. With good-natured humor, she often would greet people with this little riddle in her English brogue, "Two U's, two N', and an L and a D, put them together and spell them to me?" Do you know the answer? It spells London, of course.

To William and Sarah were born 3 sons and 6 daughters; Joseph Laban, Sarah Emily, Fanny Mariah, Elizabeth Dorces, Francis George, Celia, Emeron, Rose, and Henrietta. Eneron died at the age of 10 and Rose died in infancy.

The years pass on to 1849. The Mormon Missionaries called upon this family and preached the Gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to them. They soon learned to respect the missionaries and kept their home open to them. Sarah especially delighted in serving them.

William Wall being a man of God readily accepted this new religion, but Sarah studied and asked questions until she was thoroughly convinced that it was the truth, then she too was baptized. 1t has been told that the minister, of whose church she had been an esteemed member, tried to convince her that she was wrong, but she presented her new beliefs in such a manner that he finally stated, "Mrs. Wall, you have made me quit preaching in my church; I cannot preach no more"... and he quit the ministry.

Then the family started to plan and save so they could come to America and Zion, but it was difficult. Finally it was decided that the two oldest children should core first. Joseph Laban was about 18 and Sarah Emily was about 16. Before they left on their journey Elder Orson Hyde who was living in their home at the time, gave them a blessing and promised them if they would be faithful and obey the counsel of their leaders that they would arrive safely in Zion. After crossing the ocean they were assigned to the Edward Martin's Handcart Company, which in later years was known as the frozen Handcart company and this is why: Coming across the plains, late in the year of I856, winter came upon them. One cold night they were caught in a blizzard and camped in a ravine later known as Martins Ravine. Joseph Laban slept between two men and when he awakened in the morning those two men were frozen but Joseph Laban was alive because of the warmth of their bodies. Many others froze to death also. Sarah Emily told the story that while they were on the plains and after winter had set in, Joseph Laban contracted pneumonia and was so ill that the company decided to go on without him. But Emily would not leave him behind so she stayed with him. After traveling about 3 miles, the Captain thought better of the idea as he had been given a good sum of money to see that they got safely to Zion. So he sent back for them and Sarah Emily and a smaller girl pulled and pushed Joseph Laban in their handcart until he was able to travel again.

In Zion Joseph Laban regained his health and later he met and married Selena Dole Stevens and to them were born 8 children. Two of these children are still living and we pay tribute to them. Selena Ann Wall Shaw who is 94 and William John Wall who is 91.

Let us return in thought to Sarah Emily. When the relief party came out from Salt Lake City to meet the frozen handcart company, there was a particular young man among them by the name of William Michael Cowley. He at once noticed a beautiful blue-eyed young lady named Sarah Emily Wall and before they arrived at their destination he had asked her to marry him. She told him that he would have to write and get her parents consent to which he said he would gladly wait. She lived with one of Brigham Young's wives, Amelia and worked out some of the time. The young couple did not see each other again as Michael went to California to work. Sarah Emily was about 20 years old when he returned and after finding out that each had been true lovers, they were married. To them were born 12 children, 5 boys and 7 girls. Four of these children are living and we pay tribute to them...Emily Maria Cowley Fowler, Edgar Walter Cowley who is 84, Lenora Relief Cowley Kinsey is 77, and Wilford Wallace Cowley is 75.

Back in England meanwhile, the family of William and Sarah had worked and planned so that two more children could come to Zion. Dorcas who was 18 came to America in I862 on the ship Manchester with Fanny Mariah who was about 20. Crossing the plains under better circumstances they were met at Salt Lake City by their Brother Joseph Laban and his then future wife, and took them to Logan to the home of Sarah Emily Cowley.

Fanny Mariah inherited many of the good qualities of her parents. She was industrious and was willing to work hard in a corset factory at an early age which meant that her schooling was very limited but she was eager to learn. She also was talented in music and learned to and entertain with her beautiful voice. Fanny Mariah also met her young man, Samuel Alonzo Whitney when he came out from Salt Lake City to meet the Pioneer wagons. He too had a good voice and this young couple were in much demand as entertainers at parties and gatherings of all kinds. Fanny worked at the home of Ezra T. Benson, so when they got married, Brother Benson gave them a "jolly good wedding". They made a home in Millville, Cache Valley, and they were the parents of 9 children. Three of these are still living. We pay tribute to them. Margaret Melissa Whitney Chandler, who is 88, William Wells Whitney, 82 and Francis Elmira Mae Whitney McAffee, 78 (adopted by Fanny Mariah).

After Elizabeth Dorcas arrived in Zion, she stayed with her sister Sarah Emily until she found work and later she moved to Millville. Here she met Francis Robert Cantwell who asked her to marry him. When William and Sarah came to Zion in 1862, Dorcas and Francis came down to Salt Lake City to meet them but when they did not arrive on the scheduled date, the young couple got married and waited until they arrived late the next day. Dorcas and Francis Cantwell were the parents of 7 children and Dorcas died at the birth of the last one, in 1878 at Millville. None of their children are living but many descendants are.

At last, William and Sarah Sansome Wall realized their dream and left their native England with the remaining 3 children to come to Zion. Crossing the ocean on the ship Amazon and coming across the plains in the Thomas Ricks Company, they arrived in the Valley of the mountains in October of 1863. Dorcas and her husband met them and took them to Millville to the home of Sarah Emily. They made a home there for a while and some years later they were called to help colonize in the southern part of the state. They moved to Sevier with other families to settle and establish the town of Wallsville, which was later renamed Venice. Here they lived out the remaining years of their lives and at their deaths were buried in the Glenwood cemetery.

Let us return to the other 3 children who came with their parents. As a young man in England before coming to America, Francis George helped his father as a stone mason and also at one time working in a blueing factory.

William's son Francis related:
One time I went to work in a blueing factory. There were 500 men and boys fired. I started to work and worked from 6 am until 6 pm, with one hour for lunch. Indigo blueing is poisonous and many people have died from the dist. The dust got into my lunds and made me very ill. For months I was confined to my bed. The doctor who attended the factory workers came every day, but each day I grew worse. Once the doctor stayed all day. I was so bad I did not know much that was going on. That evening he told Mother that he had done all that he could do for her son. He was sure I would not live until morning.

Four more doctors were called in; they were all of the same opinion. They said everything had been donw that could be done. This was almost more than my parents could satnd. Since our family had joined the Church, the missionaries had made their headquarters at our home when they were in that part of the country. That night, after the doctor had left, Father called in the Elders to administer to me. They did, and gave me a wonderful blessing. They told me that I would not die, that I would live and get well, the sickness and poison would not have any more affect upon me; I would live to a good old age and go to America and would help build up towns and cities, erect church buildings and temples. Every word of that blessing has been fulfilled. When the doctor came to dsee me, he found me sitting up in bed. He was very astonished, and all he could say was, "I don't understand." I grew stronger until I was completely well. That blessing was given when I was fourteen years of age.

This promise became a reality in 1946 when he died just 3 months short of his becoming 100 years of age. Francis George came to America when he was about 17 and a year later met and married Mary Bench. To them were born 9 children of which 2 are still living. Frank Emeron Wall is 83, and Ella Wall Jarvis 74. He also married his wife's niece, Sudan Elizabeth Bench who is still living and of the 9 children born to them, 5 are still alive. We pay tribute to John Edward Well, 69 years old, Angus LeRoi Wall Is 64, George Milne Wall is 59, and Leah Wall Jones and Dora Wall.

William's son Francis continued:
In 1863 Father and Mother, my two sisters, Celia and Henrietta and myself left our home and started for America. the other children had already been sent ahead, two at a time. We boarded the ship Amazon, leaving London the first part of June, 1863. We were six weeks and three days reading New York harbor. Because of very hard winds, the captain said we had traveled many extra miles on the sea. There were 882 Saints aboard and 100 sailors. I ws the only one of my family whowas not seasick. I waited on them for three days. We were out of food as so many were sick. I went down into the kitchen to try to help prepare food for my family. While there I took cold and became very sick. They were afraid they would have to bury me at sea. Again the Elders Adminstered to me. I was given another good blessing. I was made strong and able to continue my journey to utah. Two Welsh brethren gave me the blessing.

When we landed in New York both my parents wer ill. My two sisters were small and I was still weak from my sickness, but it was up tpo me to get something for us all to eat. We soon boarded the train and were on our way to Zion. One day the train had one of the cars catch fire and burned much of the people's luggage. All their clothing were distroyed. the railroad company gave the train officials $5,000.00 to pay for the loss, but for some reason our family did not receive any.

When we reached Saint Joseph we took a steamboat for Florence and as the river was low some had to get off and walk along the bank. there was wild fruit along the way and we were able to gather some and eat it. At Florence the people made camp for a week. We heard cannons of the Civil War while we were at Florence. I went to see if I could get a little money for our losses from the railroad company, but was told that it had been paid to the emigrants. As I began to inquire around I found that not any of the Saints had received money for their losses. We had all been cheated of our rights.

Our company of Saints arrived in Salt Lake City, October 6, 1863, the first day of conference. Father and family stayed in Salt Lake City three days and then went to Logan to visit my sister. From there we went to Manti, Sanpete County, and made our home until the first of January, 1864. We joined Brother Robert Glenn's company of 17 families to start a settlement in Sevier County. We settled in a place now called glenwood. They made the road and other Saints followed and setted in Sevier County.

Father and Mother, two sisters, Celia and Henrietta, brother Joseph and wife and myself started our homes in Glenwood. The land was surveyed and allotted to the people. Father was given ten acres of farm land, covered with sagebrush and rabbit brush and two acres of hay. I was given a city lot with the promise of some farm land whihc I never received. Father was not in good health so it was up to Celia and me to make the home and clear the land.

Our first home was a dugout with logs for the roof; this was covered with willows then a layer of grass, then covered wiht dirt, making it as comfortable as possible for the winter. We made ditches, grubbed sagebrush, and prepared the land ready for plowing. After the land was plowed and planted 300 bushels of wheat were raised the first year. I was 16 and Celia was 14 years old.

There was plenty of work to do. The people needed shelter and their land cleared. The sagebrush was six feet high and so thick one could hardly walk through it. At harvest time there was all kinds of work. there was no money so I took cattle, oxen or anything the people could pay me that my family could use.

In the year of 1864 the Black Hawk Indian tribe came to Glenwood to live for the winter. They camped in the hills east of our little town, so they called it Parchul Creek. The Indians would come down and beg for something to eat. Of course, the people would give them food that they could spare. Young Black Hawk came to town every day, sometimes he would play ball with the boys. Often he would come to me and ask if I would loan him a horse and saddle. He would always bring the horse back.

One day when he was in town he took my ax without asking. I went to Big Peterson's place and he was there. He asked me to come and help him grind his ax which I did, not knowning it belonged to me. As I was turning the grindstone it came to me that it was my ax. I stopped, and said, "This is my ax."

He said that it was his. I was certain that it was mine. I told him again, then he left and gave me the ax. The Indians moved january, 1865, into Sanpete County and stayed there until the Black Hawk War commenced February 9, 1865. Black Hawk stole one of John Lowry's horese. He rode into Manti onit. When John Lowry saw him on his horse, he pulled the Indian off and slapped him. this made Black Hawk mad. Black Hawk and his brother left and went to Twelve Mile Creek. Here they met two Manti men with loads of wood. The Indians shot the white men and that's what started the war.

Next was Celia who came with her parents in 1863 at the age of 15. She was a pretty woman with black eyes and black hair. She married William Henry Framcom and they had 9 children. None of these survive but other descendants are numerous and talented.

Last but not least was Henrietta who was just about 8 years old. She early loved her school work and was an apt scholar. Thus she was able to teach school when she was 18 years old at Richfield. What a lovely teacher those children had as Henrietta was a beautiful lady of medium size, snappy blue eyes, black hair and fair skin. She had a beautiful voice also. She was a very good home maker after her marriage to Isaac Kite Wright and to them were corn 8 children. Five of these children are still living: Mary Pearl Wright Wool' 78, Ruby Maude Wright Henderson 76, Henrietta Wright Young 74, and Mabel Wright 71, and their brother Ellis Rodney Wright 66.

He died 16 Sep 1889 at Glenwood, Sevier, Ut

Note: This historical skit was compiled and written by Roda Cowley Breinholt and Marjorie Breinholt Nelson for the Well Family Reunion held in June 1960.

Entire family groups of William and Sarah Sansome Wall

Joseph Laban and Selena Dole Stevens Wall:
Joseph Stephens, Selena Ann, Rosetta, William John, Francis Henry, Franklin, Sarah preppa, Liza, Doris, Harriet.

William Michael and Sarah Emily Wall Cowley: Sarah Ann, Wilhelmina, Charles William, Joseph Willard, Emily Mariah, Franklin Washington, Ann Elizabeth, Edgar Walter, Lennetta, Grace Maude, Lenora Relief, and Wilford Wallace.

Samuel Alonzo and Fanny Mariah Wall Whitney: Fannie Louise, Laura Ann, Harriet Maria. Ada Henrietta, Margaret Melissa, Mary Elmira, and her twin brother Samuel Alonzo, Sarah Vilate, William Wells, Zelnore Adele, and Francis Elmira Mae ( Adopted by Fanny

Francis Robert and Elizabeth Dorcas Wall Cantwell: William Robert, Elizabeth Dorcas, Francetta, James Sherlock, Francis Robert, Edith Lillian, and Wilhelmina Ambrosia.

Francis George and Mary Bench Wall: Frank Emeron, Minnie Ann, Martha Henrietta, Mary Jessie, Francis George, Ella, And Clara; and the children by Susan Elizabeth Bench: John Edward, Myrtle Mae, William Clyde, Angus LeRoi, Twins Mae and Mabel, George Milne, Leah and Dora.

William Henry and Celia Wall Francom: Celia Annie, Amy Elizabeth, William George, Sarah Emily, Delia, Joseph Henry, Katie Edith, Emeron Archibald, and Laura Surett.

Isaac Kite and Henrietta Wall Wright: 1saac Lester, Emron Carl, Mary Pearl, Ruby Maude, Henrietta, Mable, Sterling and Ellis Rodney.