EZRA BUNKER (1879-1962)
I am the 24th child of Edward Bunker, Sr,, the 13th son; the 6th child, 4th son of his third wife, Mary Mathieson MoQuarrie, I was born in Bunkerville, Nevada on October 3, 1879, in a two-room lean-to located on the lot given to Mother when the townsite was laid out, Later a three-room sun-dried adobe house with basement was built and that was Mother's home as long as she lived, and mine until I married, Mother had 4 more sons after me: Robert E., Hector, Edward Nahum, and Israel. The last two died in infancy.

What follows may not be accurate as to dates and time, for I writing from memory and from what has been told to me by neighbors and friends of former years.

My life has been fraught with disappointments and discouragements; at times I have miraculously escaped being killed in accidents, but after all, it has been and is a good world and I feel I have been wonderfully blessed through the years.

Soon after I was born, a large carbuncle developed on my, back, just under my ribs near the backbone. That put me on my stomach on a pillow for weeks and was finally lanced. I don't remember who wielded the meat ax, but they say it wasn't long till I could fip flop over on my back and learn about this new world I had come too.

Mother was a bcnnie lassie from the Highlands of Scotland, and how she endeared herself to all who knew her, You couldn't detect a brogue in her speech unless it was on purpose, but I remember her reading Scotch poems to us and how we would laugh.

At about 10 yeers of age I was riding a horse down to the Virgin River to drive our stock down to drink and to bring back a barrel of drinking water. All went well going dawn, but as the band left the river, away they went, kicking up their heels and running away with breakneck speed. The one I was riding had a habit of running away with us lightweights, and so she took off about as fast as she could go. Soon overtaking the band, she ran up among the horses and one of them let fly it's heels, one foot stiking me on the shin. I think it must have had a Colk shoe on, as it made a hole through my shinbone. It put me on the ground and how I got by without being trampled to death, I don't know. The ungrateful beast didn't even wait for me to get back on, so I had to walk and made poor headway on one leg. I hadn't gone far when Uncle George Lee came with his band, He pulled me up on his horse and we were off. He delivered me to the door with blood and tears flowing freely. I soon found that Mother was equal to every occasion and she soon had the blood and team stopped.

When I was a little older I started to go with the older boys after wood in the mountains; Sometimes it would be a one-day trip and sometimes two, On the one-day trip, it meant leaving home about 4.00 A,M and getting back after dark. The older boys would saddle a horse and take a good sharp axe and go on ahead and have a good portion of the load cut by the time I got there in the wagon. I could be placed on the wagon so I wouldn't fall off it. I went to sleep, which I usually did. The old faithful team, Chub and Jerzy, would wend their way toward the mountains while the pilot slept and believe it or not, never once did they fail to find the boys. My brother Francis, split his knee open on one trip and another time cut a terrible gash in one foot.

What normal boy ever grew up and didn't get into some mischief or something to call down the wrath of his elders upon his head? And I was no exception, but being Aunt Mary's boy, I guess, I slipped by without some well deserved punishment. However, I did get caught sometimes and had to face the music which was to go and ask foregiveness of the ones offended, which I thought was pretty stiff punishment.

About the time I was 14 or 15, a farmer by the name of Pace moved to Bunkerville from St. George. There were 3 in the famly; Father, mother and daughter. Mr. Pace was quite a musician, He played the violin for our dances and taught music in our school house, which was also used for church and dancing. No dance was complete until Uncle Thomas Leavitt and Aunt Hattie Earl jig-danced for us and Themea and Ella Leavitt, Marion and Visa Abbott ,danced the Horseless Four-and how they danced.

Other indoor entertainment was candy making from the molasses we made from the cane we grew. We also had popcorn to make popcorn balls. We had rag bees where we sewed long strips of rags together to be made into rugs and carpeto. There was one such carpet on our living room floor with nice clean straw underneath. The straw was changed twice a year and carpet tacked down all around. We had corn shucking bees and many other games, and I guess more than I can remember the rules for.

Our 4th and 24th of July holidays were fittingly observed-the 4th with firing of cannons at daybreak and the martial band parading the town at sunrise--Joseph I. Earl with fife, Wilbur Earl and son Joseph on the drums, and later, Mr. Pace helped with the drums. At 10 A.M. a meeting would be held with speeches and songs.

The sports we played then were jumping weatling, foot-racing, marble playing and horse racing; leap frog and steal the stick and run sheep for the younger boys.

One Christmas I remember above a11 others was when I was about 12 years old and was dressed as one of Santa Claus's little girls. Herb Waite Sanbo was the other. We paraded down town in a two-wheel cart with Herbs old gray mare hitched to it and met at the Church. There William E. Abbott, who was made up for Santa, passed out presents to the whole community. The tears were getting pretty close for Santa's little girl when there didn't seem to be a present for her, but from somewhere came a large bundle addressed to her and in it was a suit of clothes. It wasn't long 'til Sant's little girl became a happy little boy with his first suit of clothes. Harry Gentry and my brother Martin had previously brought 2 quite valuable colts from St. Thomas, Nevada, and I was given the job of feeding and caring for them. I don't remember anything being said about pay, but I suppose that was arranged with Mother. However, that is how I got the suit of clothes.

The years sped on and we worked hard. Loved ones were laid away and although we had very few luxuries, there was plenty to eat and clothes to cease° use. We kept a few sheep and Mother had a spinning a wheel on which she spun the wool into yarn for our socks and mittens. As I came through Bunkerville not long ago, I visited a few of the women older than myself in order to get some early day history, and Sister Waite told me of a cotton picking bee that was held and they had invited all the able-bodied women and girls to come, but had not invited Mother. She was a midwife and had her family to care for, so they thought she had plenty to do without picking cotton. They were all to be there real early and had a real surprise when they found Mother in the field ahead of them.

Grapes were raised in Dixie county which took prizes. For a time some wine was also made.

We sometimes got a little money from our cattle. Good yearling steers sold as low as $6000. Uncle Lon Leavitt and I hired out to a Mr. Andrews who came down the river one spring, to help him drive the cattle he bought to the railroad. The second night there came up a terrible storm; thunder, lightening and rain, and the cattle stampeded. I had just come off shift about midnight and gone to bed and one of the men told me to stay there and I would be safe, so I did. The next morning early we all started to round up the cattle, for they were scattered far and wide. Some we never did find that day. When we returned home, we found some that had gone back to where he had bought theme

About this time, Eddie had a cattle ranch over the mountain south of Bunkerville. One fall he sent his son, Hugh, and I over to gather the calves and bring them to town to be weaned from their mothers. We each rode a horse and packed one with food, bedding and clothing and a little grain for the horses° We had planned to be gone about 6 days, but having to hobble our horses out to graze, we had quite a time finding them. We had to borrow-2 horses from St. George cattle men to find ours. Once the 6 days were up, we were out of food and weren't ready to go home.- Eddie had Mr. Pace over at another spring doing some mining work for him, so we decided to go and see if he would share his food with use We got the food and though he was nice to us, the Bishop got thunder for sending us two kids on such a trip. Time came to turn those bellering calves cut of the corral. We left the ranch in the evening as the an mess would be without water for a night and a day-two tired and still hungry cowboys. What we feared was an all night ride, for we couldn?t leave the calves for a minute but what they wanted to go back to the rancho Along about 8 or 9 o'clock, we fancied our horses took less urging, for they were as morn out as we ware. We found out their ears were better than ours. It wasntt long till we heard the jBiting of a wagon over the reeks while it was still some distance away° Youtve never seen a boy so glad to see his father and the other to see his brother .as we were that night. Eddie took the calves and went ono We fed our here-es and ourselves, took a few hours rest, then went on, catching up with Eddie the next morning. Then we changed with the Bishop, he going on with the team and we with the calves, arriving home towards evening, _ , tired but grateful for a safe return home.

Another thing we did was to go down.to the salt mines, 35 miles down the Virgin River, near St. Thomas, Nevada, and load up salt and haul it up into Utah where we would trade it for anything we could use, getting not more than 2 cents a pound and more often less. Three thousand pounds was a good load for the best of the teams and many went with less from the mine to the Beaver Dame, 50 miles. The road ran up the river, crossing back and forth all of 20 times° The river had a quicksand bottom and at times we thought there wasn't any. bottom in it when our wagons got stuck. We would have to carry our salt out piece by piece to the bank before we could get the wagon out. If there were several travelling together, we would double up, taking one wagon over then all the horses and then another. That took a lot of time, but not nearly as much as unloading the salt. It would take two week: to get a load of salt and deliver it and we got about $60.00 in trade for a single team load. Of courses moot of the men would take four horses and twice the load.

At sixteen I had worked for my brother Eddie a little acid for others around town, helping Eddie when he built his new stare and going with him to the mountain to burn limes. I know now I should have been thinking of going to school and getting a better education. As it was, I never passed the 8th grade and so have been handicapped all, my life and had to make my living the hard may.

My brother, John, came home from E1. Dorado Canyon where he had been working for number of years, married and in less than 3 months, lost his wife, Then he was called on a mission from St. Thomas, and when he came to Bunkerville he brought a 4 horse team with a load of wheat that belonged to Harry Gentry, He made arrangements for me to take the team back and stay as Harry" s hired man and that was the beginning of a wandering life, At 76 I am stall wandering.

I worked for Mr. Gentry for $1,00 a day and my board, When I was 17, he sent two teams-one a six horse and one a four horse-down to Arizona to haul freight to various places. I drove the four horse team and Will Perkins the other, On our way down we loaded hay at Banel.li ranch and ferried at the junction of the Virgin and Colorado Rivers for El Dorado Canyon, From E1.Dorado we loaded ore to Kingman, Arizona, a station on the Santa Fe Railroad, The ccanpary had a stamp mill, on the river where they crushed the ore that was hauled damn from the mines with two ten horse teams, one of which was driven by my brother John for a year or two, These teams were later driven by Ben Jones and a Mr, Francin who were both killed by an Indian as they were on their way from the mine to the mill, Mr, Gentry had joined us and sent me down to Bonelli ranch for hay and he and the other team went back to Kingman, I made it to the river the first night where I camped, I thought my horse seemed restless dtring the night and I couldn9t Bleep very well, I got up early intending to go up to the ranch, load my hay and return to the same place to camp, as that was where I left the river and could fill up a barrel of mater for the 35 mile ride over the desert, When I got up to the ferry, I called over for them to bring me the bales of hay, which they did and with it brought me some ciferting" news, They had learned an Indian had killed two prospectors a few days before down the river and they had been warned to look out for him it the ranch, I dealt rsmeraber whether it was the night I had camped at the river or beforet but one of Joe Perkinvs horse, had been stolen and they were sure it was the Indian. Later they found where the horse had been ridden as far in the mountains as he could ride him, and then had shot him and gone on by foot. Sometime later, it may have been a year or so, the Indian came out of hiding and the other Indians killed him.

I stayed on that job for about 6 months, then came home to help with the farm -ark, In the fell of 1898, my brother Francis and I went out to Delmar, Nevada, with two four horse teams to haul mining timber, lumber and wood into the mine and mill, At that time, Delmar was a thriving town with a very rich gold mine. I was out there about 4 months then returned home to farm work,

- In March, 1900, I received a call to go on a mission, but before I went out, I.took a 22 month missionary course at the Brigham Young Academy in Provo, Utah, After this, I went to Ogden, stayed two weeks, was set apart June 13, 1900, by Apostle George Teasdale for a mission to the Southern States with headquarters at Chattanooga, Tennessee, Ben E, Rich was the President, I was :.assigned to the North Alabama Conference which comprised North Alabama, North Mississippi and West Tennessee, About the 2nd night out, while staying with s, family by the name of Hart., we had just retired for the night when a loud pounding on the door startled us, Brother Hart was very old and feeble and so was his wife. A gruff voice dnarided9 "Are there any Mormon elders there? If there are, we want them to come out"e Brother Hart said there were, but they weren't coming out, 1 was mighty frightened, but the young boy sprang a t of bed and yelled, "I '11 get the shot gun and kill everyone of these", They .tut TrEave heard thatg for they mm red away, but said "Those Mormons better be out of here before sunrise or else," After throwing rocks and shooting their guns off, they left. I think I mould have left too if they had let me. I had many worthwhile experiences on my mission and the last six months of it was transferred to Middle Tennessee Conference where I was made President of the Conference. I was released in June 1902, When I returned home my brother John took a mail contract between St. George, Utah and St. Thomas, Nevada. I helped with that for a while, then on December 12, 1902, the young lady I had chosen for my companion, Mary Elsie Terry, and I were married in the St. George Temple by Davis H. Cannon., We began our married life in Bunkerville, Nevada. Mother was still alive but very ill. We visited her often and it was at one of these visits in August 1903, when we were expecting an increase in the family before long, she said to me, "Erna, you must prepare to take Mary to St. George where she can have a doctor's care, for she is going to need one." I said, "tell, there's plenty of time. .Its more than a month off yet." "No", she said, "there isn't plenty of time. You must go as soon as you can". Then she diwyped.a bomb shells She said there was going to be two babies. I. think we thought she was joking. We talked it over between us and didntt see how it was possible to make that trip. We visited Mother again in a few days and she wanted to know if we were ready to start to St. George. She said, "You have a team and a wagon, and as to affording it, you cent afford not too" I fixed a good comfortable bed in the wagon and taking Marys mother with us, we set out for St. George, arriving there the evening of the second day. We went to see the Doctor. He made an examination and said he thought everything was going to be all right, but I had just ;eked him if it would be all right for me to go to the ranch for some fruit and wood. It would take about 2 days or a little more. He said he thought it was all right, but I had just left the ranch coining back when I met a young man on horseback,, He said "Everything is fine. You have a son and a daughter waiting there for you9 born August 21, 1903, so you can take it easy now." What a relief and how thankful I was that I listened to my Mother. s wise counsel. The doctor had a hard time eaving the boy. Those twins have just passed their 52nd bir,hday and have families of their own.

- We returned to Bunkerville. The railroad was being built from Milford, Utah, to Los Angeles by -ray of Las Vegas, Mavada8 es I took my teams and went to haul supplies from the end-of the r&al road to a grading camp along the line for ace. In January, 19058 we returned to St. George as we were expecting a new arrival. I left my family in St. George and took a job in Arizona. Our 2nd son, Nahum LaVer° waa born February 118 1905. From Bunkerville we moved to Logendale where I rented a farm and later engaged in hauling ore from the Grand Guieh Mine in Arizona to St. Thomas, a station on the Union Pacific Railroad. Later a branch line was built down the Moapa Valley to St. Thomas; Nevada, that shortened the haul up to 45 miles, about a 6 day trip. Mae was born in Logan-dale, February 169 1907, Virginia was born in Bunkerville December 6, 1908,

It was on one of these trips to the mine that I came so near being killed and my teams also. My guardian angel must have been riding with me that day.

In the winter it would-snow on the mountain and in places where the sun couldn't shine on the road much, it would freeze. Someone was with me, I don't remember who, but he had gone ahead and had stopped when he run onto the. dry road to take off his rufflock. That was the only may we dould ease our wagons over those icy places. I thought he waved me on, so I started up. I hadn9t gone more than two or three rods when my ruffl.ock broke and those wagons were turned loose. However, the brakes were on and would held the wagons on the dry road, but were useless on the ice. I yelled for the fellow ahead to get out of the road. His lock wee stuck so he couldn't get it off and he couldn't pi1i his loads with'it on, so there he was and me coming dim the road pell well. To have gone to the right of him meant death to ell of us rolling down into the canyon a- hundred feat or more. I had to do something and that quick. I had 6 horses, so when my leaders got near that oothe°outfit, I pulled them to the left. They had to jump up quite a bank. The next team was jammed against the wagon. Then the unbelievable happened. Those - agons stopped so quickly I came near going over in among the horses, but I managed to hold on to something. The swing team was jammed in a pretty cloee place, but wasntt hurt.

In 1909 my family moved to Delta, Utah, where we lived until. 19229 when we moved to Provo,. While in Delta9 the rest of our children were born. Neil Terry, December 18,,1910; Ezra Keith, February 21, 1913E died June 7, 1913; Robert Evan, August 28, 1914 Eddis, July 21, 1916; Holden Rich, July 6, 1919; and Carl F11wood April 7, 1921.

I made a trade with my brother Clifton for a small place in Vineyard and then moved to Salt Lake. We first lived at 5th South and 2nd West, then Sugar-house, then Quince Street. From there to let West and 2nd North, and finally bought a home at 1130 South West Temple.

I worked with the Utah Concrete Pipe Company most of the time from then on until I retired on my Social Security Pension.

On November 15, 1944, my dear wife was taken from me in death, and after a few months, I went back to the south on a mission, I arrived in Atlanta; Georgia on September 22, 1945, and was sent to preside over the Montgomery, Alabama branch, I was there about 7 months and took sick and was released to return home. About May, 1946, I went to Oregon to visit with fine and her family, and while there took eick and returned to Salt Lake. After that, LaVer and I went out to Antelope Valley by Littlerock, California, and bought 4 acres of ground and built a garage where I lived for about 5 years, My health was some better there, While there, I did some missionary work, belonging to the Lancaster and Palmdale wards,

I am now living in Granger at the home of Mae and Earl Hill, my daughter and son-in-law. At this writing I have 35 grandehildren and 6 great grand-children, with 2 more great grandchildren on the way.


My wonderings in 1952. Left the Turners [daughter Elfine]. They were living on a dairy farm in Oregon.

Dec. 31st, bound for SCCL, arrived there Jan. 1st - Ellwood, Jimmie and Bruce were at the station to meet me. I came by Bus. They took me out to their place 3050 S. 2320 E. SLC. Cold weather.

Jan. 11th, Ethel and children took me to Draper to visit the Day family.

Jan. 26th, The Day family from Draper came for a visit to Granger. While staring at Granger I visited in the City some, the children there.

Feb. 1st, had a bad cold and caugh, was at the Hills [Granger].

Feb. 6th, Learned King Edward of England had died.

Feb. 10th, Shirley, a grandaughter, came home from Logan where she was going to school.

Feb. 11th, Learned Jed Terry had died in St. George, a brother-in-law, left that night on bus for St. George, arrived next day. Saw many old friends and relatives at the funeral and in the city. Stayed with my brother Hector, who was working in the temple and was living in one of the temple cottages.

Feb. 16th, I attended a funeral in the St. George tabernacle, had been about 50 years since I had been in it. Hector and I got a ride to Las Vegas with Wm Stewart and wife who were temple workers, we stayed with Palleys and Davies, son-in-laws of Hector. Visited friends and reltives in the city.

Feb. 18th, Returned to St. George with the Stewarts. I was real sick when we got back there, had a hard chill. Felt better in a few days and on 21st took the bus for Granger, arriving there same day. My cough contined to bother me for some time. Regular winter weather.

Mar. 7th, Left Granger by bus for Provo to visit Robert and family.

Mar. 11th, Returned by bus to Granger. March weather.

Mar. 16th, Neil paid us a visit form Idaho.

Mar. 18th, Neil left for Wyoming, he and wife busting up their marriage.

April - Spring like weather, saw many friends and relatives in the city for conference.

April 4th, Marvin Turner at Conference from Oregon. Last time I see my old Delta friend Lewis R. Humphries at the Conference.

Left SLC the 10th with Lindsey Fawles and wife for St. George, arrived same day. They went throught the temple for the first time - also the Hyman family converts - these folks were all from Lancaster Ward in California.

Apr. 12th, Left St. George in evening. Stopped in Bunkerville to say hello to the Bunkers there, then on to Las Vegas where we spent the night with Nellie Wittwer, my niece.

Apr. 13th, Left the Vegas, arriving at the Fawles home in Littlerock about 3 pm that same evening. I went to L.A. with Jim and Zelda, Hatties Bro-in-law and sister, arriving at LaVer's home about 10 pm. Tired - That's all.

Apr. 18th, LaVer and Hattie took me out to the desert, where I stayed for some time farming a little, visiting among neighbors and going to church when I could. Weather quite nice.

May 1st, LaVer sent his truck out for me to use for a while.

May 9th, LaVer came to help irrigate.

May 20th, I picked 2 quarts of strawberries. I have been living at the Scherer Farm, my very good neighbors.

Jun. 6th, LaVer and Hattie came to help with the work.

Jun. 10th, Learned Ethel Bunker Miner had died in Bakersfield, wife of Paul Miner.

Jun. 11th, Got my neighbor Fred Scherer to take me to Palmdale where I caught the bus for L.A., where I got a ride to Bakersfield with my nephew Bryan Bunker and wife and friend Maggie (Iverson) McCardle. Bryan was one of the speakers. Returned to L.A. and LaVer's home.

Jun. 13th, LaVer took me out to the farm and helped with the irrigating.

Jun. 15th, Father's day was well remembered by the childre. Days are getting hot.

Jun. 20th, Went to L.A. with Mr. and Mrs. Welde. Stayed at Rich's all day. Returned that night to the desert with the Weddles. Tired - that's all.

Jul. 3rd, Got Mr. Weddle to ride down to L.A. with me as I am a soar hand to find my way in a city like L.A. Looks like Rich and June are on the verge of parting.

Jul. 4th, Rich took the childre, Terry and Diana to a celebration in Southgate of all those in Calif. that had lived in the virgin valley in Nevada. Had a real nice time - sure many friends and relatives.

Jul. 6th, Terry and Diane took me to the LDS Sunday School they were attending.

Jul. 7th, My. Weddle came and pilated me out of the city and back home to the desert.

Jul. 11th, Ike Eisenhower nominated on Republican ticket to run for President.

Jul. 12th, Randy Rogers lost his house he was building by fire. The neighbors donated some to help them out.

Jul. 18th, LaVer came out to help me with the irrigating and other work.

Jul. 21st, The day of the earthquake, much damage in Bakersfield and towns north of here.

Jul. 25th, Bro. and Sis. Fawles took me out to a Bar-B-Que out at the Rosamond dry lake given by the Primary or the Lancaster Ward.

Jul. 26th, LaVer came to help with the work.

Jul. 27th, Hattie and Ruth Smith same at noon on their way to Utah, so I went along with them. Stopped in Mewquite over the night at Hugh's Motel (reltives of mine by marriage). I went to Church in Mesquite - meet a number of friends and relatives there.

Jul. 28th, From Mesquite to Spanish Fork, Ut., where Hattie's daughter lived, from there Margie took me over to Provo where my son Bob and family lived now. I was ready for bed and a good nights rest.

Jul. 31st, While at Provo, I visited my neice and husband out at Orem. They had a neighbor who was a girl about my age that I knew when I was on my mission in Mississippi in 1900. I hadn't seen her in about 50 years. She had a twin sister which I had meet several times in Salt Lake City. Their names were Emma and Lemma Edwards and they had both married.

Aug. 4th, Went over to see Margie's baby daughter, born Aug. 2nd.

Aug. 5th, Eddis, Virginia, and some of the children came down to Provo and took me back with them to Draper where I stayed 'til the 9th of Aug, when I went to Granger and Hill farm and glad to get back to my own bed.

Aug. 12th, Went out to Lagoon resort with Mae and children - Utah Copper day - Earl works for the Copper Co. Was back and forth to the city visiting the children and relatives until the 4th of Sep. when I took bus for Bunkerville, my old home town to attend the Edward Bunker Family reunion.

Sep. 8th, Here is where the whole Bunker Family were for a while. Had a real nice time. I stayed with my Brother Hector's son Merril and wife Delilich and son Roger. Sit before the fire in the old fire place that had warmed me many a day in my growing up days. At this date there is only 4 sons and one daughter living of the 28 children.

Sep. 9th, Left Bunkerville with Vivian and Sadie, Aunt Dell's daughters for California. Arrived in Torrence where Vivian lived, Jacobs was her name. LaVer came there and got me and took me to his home.

Sep. 12th, Went out to the desert farm - found all well. At this time enjoying some of the best watermellons I ever ate, raised here on the place. I share my mellons with the neighbors and they often ask me to dine with them. Now it's time to move on - this time north.

Sep. 26th, LaVer and Hattie came out to the farm. I got LaVer to take me to Lancaster where I took bus for Bakersfield, Calif. Called my niece Saide Stodard. Her husband came the took me out to their lovely home where I enjoyed a few day visit with them. Day light saving time changed to Standard Pacific time in Bakersfield.

Oct. 1st, Sadie took me to the Bus station, I embarked for Oregon, arriving at Oregon City the 2nd. The Turners were not there to meet me, so called a friend, Sister Talbert, who came and took me out to Turners little farm in Willamet. However we met the folks on the way. The wonderful relatives and friends I have all along the way make life worth living.

Oct. 3rd, My Birthday again. I am greatful for children who love and remember their old dad. Generally there is plenty of rain in Oregon, but they do have dry spells. Not to well part of the time in Oregon, the damp wet weather effects my asthma some. Election time - I am busting for Ike. If elected I hope he proves to be a good President.

Nov. 4th, Ike won so I hope he doesn't plung us into war. During my stay in Oregon - attended church services quiet regular in West Lin Ward.

Nov. 25th, Marvin's brother and wife from Canada payed us a visit. Marvin's working over in Washington State all week. Comes home week-ends.

Nov. 30th, Learned of Apostle Widstow's death and also of Albert Craven's death, a long time friend of the family.

Dec. 1st, All kinds of weather at times, very unpleasant for me.

Dec. 6th, Virginia and Maurines birthday quiet a birthday present for Virginia. She came near having a Christmas presetn when her first child was born the 23 of Dec. - Shirley.

Dec. 25th, Christmas mail coming in, I have been well remembered. At the close of the year still in Oregon - was a very pleasant entertainment with refreshment in the Ward church house. A very nice lot of people in this ward (Oregon City Ward).

By her husband, Ezra Bunker

Mary Elsie Terry Bunker -is the wife of Ezra Bunker and daughter of Thomas, Terry and Hannah Lulea Leavitt. She was born August 159 1881, in Hebron, Washington County, Utah. Her mother was the third wife of Brother Terry. Mary was her second child and Brother Terry's 26th child,

The home she was born in and where she lived until she was five years old was fairly good for those early days, Beside her kitchen stove she had a good fireplace to heat the home, Their furniture was plain, yet substantial, and served them well.

Mary's mother was left alone many days at a time. Besides her home and family to care for, she milked the caws, fed the chickens and pigs. When Mary was six weeks old, a painful and horrifying accident happened to her.

The weather was cold and her mother had had a fire long enough to have bright red coals in the fireplace, She wrapped little Nary up, put her in a rocking chair near the fireplace so she would be warm while she was gone. She took a piece of wood and placed it under the front of the rocker, tipping it ba.k,hoping it would prevent her baby from falling out, She took her older child, Maud, with her to the corral to do the chores. When half through her chores, she felt impressed to go to the house, When she opened the door, she sew her Mary lying on the hearth, her little head on some of those red coals. Quickly she snatched her baby into her arms. As she did this, little Mary screamed and then lay as if dead, Mother Terry rushed to the door and called to her neighbor in anguish and fear, "My baby is burned to death," Sister Taylor came running, saw the situation, then returned home to get her husband and a nearby neighbor, These elders administered to the baby; there was still no sign of life, They all. knelt, in fervent prayer to the Lord for the life of this dear baby, Again the elders administered to little Maryo After this they could see signs of life. .Some of the neighbors unwisely told this heartbroken mother if her child lived, she world never develop to be a normel child. How little we know at times what God can do, Through the authority of the Holy Priesthood and the fervent prayers of a faithful mother and the saints, this dear suffering baby was saved.

The only doctor lived 60 miles away at this time, and he could not come to help. So this devoted mother, Hannah, proved to be a very efficient doctor and nurse. It is a miracle how this mother endured the hardships of nursing this badly burned child back to a normal life. -Mary had a bad scar m no hair grew on one-third of her head - other than this, she never felt the effect, of this burn throughout her life. She had the art of combing her hair so that few people knew of her bad scar.

When Mary was 5 year's olds her father had to take his wife, Hannah, and children into hiding. The U. So Marshalls were determined to put him in jail for his belief in and practice of plural marriage° They went to Mesquite, Nevada° Here Mari went to school a few years, Then her father moved his f~m~9y on a ranch 20 miles up the wash from Beaver Dams Arizona. She and her brothers and sisters attended school in Littlefield, Arizona, when they could° They worked hard in the gardens and fields to make a living.

During the Christmas holidays, Mary's parents, brothers and sisters often came to Mesquite and Bunkerville. Here they danced at night with the young people, and had many a happy time. They had a lot of relatives and friends here to visit. I first became acquainted with Mary when she was 13 years old. We weren't at all serious about dating until she was 17 and I was 19 years old.

In March, 1900 I was called to go to the BY Academy at Provo to take a short course preparatory to going on a mission. I returned from my mission in the Southern States in 1902. Mary and I were married 12 December 1902. There were 15 missionaries in the District where I was; everyone had a girl friend. Every missionary lost his girlfriend except me. Mary was true blue: just like she was all her life to me. She was a devoted wife and mother; hard working, thrifty and industrious. Always willing to make any sacrifice necessary for the children and I. She had a firm testimony of the gospel and proved it by helping wherever she was wanted in the Ward organizations.

The last years, of her life were spent in doing research work for her people. Her heart and soul were in this geneology work. She spent many days at the library when we lived in Salt Lake City,

When our married children needed her, she went to help them. She went to Los Angeles to help in the home of one of our sons when a new baby came to them. When she was ready to come home, she went into the city to check the trains. Someway she got hit by a train and knocked over, hurting her severely. She was taken to a hospital, was there a week, then taken home to LaVer's for two weeks until she was able to ride home. I sent our daughter Eddie down to bring her home. They came by train to the city, After she was safely home, all of the children came to visit her; happy she was home again. After they all left, Mary read letter from Robert and Rich who were in the service. When she got up to go to bed, she fell in the bedroom doorway. I ran to a neighbor's for help. We called a doctor, but all to no avail. Mary had passed away, no doubt a result of the accident in Los Angeles,
How thankful we were that she was home and we all had the joy of seeing her again, She was a busy mother right up to the close of her life; loved dearly by the children and Is her loved ones and all who knew her. She died 15 November 1944.