ANDREW THOMSON, JR. (1858-1922)
BIOGRAPHY by a Daughter
Andrew Thomson, Jr. son of Andrew and Christiana Jensen Thomson was born in Ephraim, Sanpete County, Utah on November 4, 1858 in a log cabin inside the Fort which was built as a protection against the attacks of the Indians.

Later when the city of Ephraim was laid out, the Andrew Thomson, Sr. home was located on Second East and Center Street. Years later the house was torn down. The land was used by the Snow College.

Andrew attended the schools in Ephraim and one winter at B.Y.U. Academy at Provo. He was always a good student and interested in education.

When Anthon H. Lund was his teacher, he received the prize for being the best in geography. The prize was a tin type picture taken of himself. The picture has always been a prize in our family.

Andrew was a tall handsome man with dark brown hair and dark grey eyes. He and mother made a handsome couple. He was also an excellent public speaker.

In 1882 he was called to go to St. George, Utah to learn how to work in the Temple so he would be able to work in the Manti Temple when it would be completed.

While in St. George he met Mary Louise Eyring and after a fine courtship they were married in the St. George Temple, December 20th, 1883. The ceremony was performed by Wilford Woodruff.

Their first son, Henry Eyring was born December 7, 1884. They lived in St. George for two and one half years where Andrew worked in the Co-op Store and at Silver Reef making enought money to buy a little home when they moved to Ephraim, Sanpete County, Utah.

Their first home was a two room adobe house locted in the Southeastern part of Ephraim.

Andrew being very handy, remodled their house, putting on a new roof, tearing out the old fireplace and plastering the walls, building a kitchen on the back and digging a cellar going down from the kitchen.

They were very comfortable with their three sons, Eyring, Andrew, and Wells. Then Andrew bought a lot across from the Snow College where he himself was born. He bought it from Brother William Bowden for $700 which was a high price at that time. There was a cedar tree out in front which Brother Burden made him promise not to cut down. Andrew built a nice two story yellow brick home on the property. Lincoln, Maiben, Mary C. and Fern were all born in this home.

At that time there were no modern conveniences, but as soon as water was piped to town and there were electric lights, Andrew had them installed in the house.

Some time later, Andrew modernized the big kitchen to make a bathroom, closets and smaller kitchen with buffeting, etc.

In 1896 Andrew was caleld on a mission to Germay, Louise with her five boys and help from Andrew's father and brothers kept the farm going while he was gone.

May Christiana, their first girl was born eight months after Andrew left for the mission and Fern was born two years later.

Andrew's mission was cut a litle short of two year's on account of a serious illness, a ruptured appendix from which he suffered the rest of his life.

Andrew worked as the counselor in the Manti Temple to three presidents. He drove over from Ephraim to Manti each morning with his buggy and horse no matter what kind of weather it was.

He was active in the Ephraim North Ward, being a counselor to Bishop David N. Beal for a number of years.

Andrew was good to the Widows and those who needed help. He was able to speak Danish and German. He was a man who studied the gospel and lived its principles. He was a good example to his family and church members.

He officiated in the Manti Temple clear up to his last sickness. He performed the marriages of all his children in the Manti Temple, expept for Fern.

Andrew was a good provider. The family never lacked for anything they needed. He was always busy getting up early in the morning and working until late at night if needs be. In winter he always mended his horses harnesses, repaired machinery and fences. He was always prepared for spring to put in his crops.

Althought Andrew's health was never good after his sickness in Germany, he would never give up, but worked as if he was well and strong.

Andrew was ordained a Patriarch of South Sanpete Stake by President Anthon H. Lund on May 13, 1918 at Ephraim, but because of poor health was not able to give many blessings.

He always planted a good garden and took care of it. There was always all the good vegetables the family needed. He was particular in keeping our city lot clean of weeds and teeping the lawn watered and cut.

The last spring of his life he had racked and cleaned the lot, but the work and stormy weather was too much for him, he took pneumonia and died shortly afterwards on May 1, 1922